- Review your bank statements for any unexplained charges or withdrawals;
- Review your credit card statements promptly for any unexplained charges;
- If you receive an email congratulating you on your new account, call the company directly. Do NOT respond to the email as it may very well be the attempt to get your personal information.
- If you receive a letter declining you for credit that you did not apply for, your identity may have been stolen.
- Review your credit report for:
- Incorrect addresses and places of employment.
- inactive accounts with activity on your credit reports.
- Unexpected derogatory information;
- Unexpected public records such as judgments or liens.